Taking too long? Close loading screen.
Connect with us

Sports

Source: Saban has second straight negative test

Published

on

A second subsequent test of Alabama coach Nick Saban on Friday showed that he is negative for COVID-19, a source told ESPN’s Tom Rinaldi, increasing the chances that he will coach in Saturday night’s showdown against Georgia.

Alabama officials learned of the second negative test on Friday afternoon, according to the sources, and Saban had already been tested again early Saturday. Crimson Tide officials are hoping to get the results of the latest test sometime Saturday afternoon.

If Saban tests negative three times, each 24 hours apart, the initial positive test on Wednesday would be considered a false-positive under SEC protocols, allowing him to coach the No. 2 Crimson Tide in Saturday night’s nationally televised game against No. 3 Georgia at Bryant-Denny Stadium.

Saban, who turns 69 later this month, remained in isolation Saturday morning, the sources said.

In a statement on Friday, Alabama head trainer Jeff Allen said team physician Dr. Jimmy Robinson evaluated Saban, who remains asymptomatic and without fever.

“We are continuing to follow the SEC Return to Activity and Medical Guidance Task Force Protocol for testing asymptomatic positives,” Allen said in the statement. “A PCR test was repeated Thursday by the SEC appointed lab and was negative.”

According to the statement, the initial positive test came from an outside lab that the school uses to supplement the SEC’s mandated testing.

Source

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Bills’ Knox tests positive; 3 other TEs put on list

Published

on

The Buffalo Bills have placed four players on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Of the four, only tight end Dawson Knox has tested positive, the team said. The other three players on the list are tight ends Lee Smith, Tommy Sweeney and Nate Becker, all of whom have been deemed as having had close contact with Knox.

Sweeney is already on the PUP list, while Becker is on the team’s practice squad.

In their statement, the Bills said Sunday’s road game against the New York Jets remains as scheduled with the team planning to travel later Saturday.

Source

Continue Reading

Sports

Driving force: DeChambeau claims 400-yd. carry

Published

on

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. — While most of the top players are preparing for the Masters by playing in this weekend’s Zozo Championship, Bryson DeChambeau is at home in his Dallas laboratory concocting ways to tackle Augusta National Golf Club.

On Friday, he unveiled a little bit of his madness, disclosing via Instagram story that he had achieved 401.3 yards of carry with the driver he is working with and “not even the 48-inch driver.”

The device he showed to monitor his progress also showed a ball speed of 211 mph and a hang time of 8.2 seconds.

Count to eight and consider how long his golf ball stayed in the air.

DeChambeau, who won the U.S. Open last month by six shots, said two weeks ago at the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open that he planned to spend the month prior to the Masters hitting “2,000 drivers” and experimenting with a 48-inch shaft, the longest allowed by the Rules of Golf.

Most players use a driver length of 44 to 45 inches.

There are a lot of variables, including elevation changes and wind. And a driver might not be the proper play off every tee for DeChambeau, while some shots require a draw or a fade.

Source

Continue Reading

Sports

Fury plans Dec. 5 fight in London; Wilder unlikely

Published

on

LONDON — WBC world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury said Saturday that he plans to fight in London on Dec. 5, but his opponent is unknown.

“I’d just like to announce I’m definitely fighting December the 5th in London. Opponent to be announced very, very soon,” Fury said in a video message posted on his social media accounts. “Just working on some opponents. Let you all know who it’s going to be shortly.” Fury and his co-promoter Frank Warren recently expressed doubt that a third fight with American Deontay Wilder would happen in 2020.

Fury claimed the WBC belt off Wilder with a seventh-round stoppage in February, after their draw in 2018.

A fight between undefeated Michael Conlan and former WBO junior featherweight champion Isaac Dogboe has been agreed upon for Dec. 5 at Royal Albert Hall in London. That fight is expected to be part of the Fury card, sources told ESPN’s Steve Kim.

The 32-year-old Fury announced in June that he had agreed to a two-fight deal with Anthony Joshua. The sides said that the first bout could take place sometime in 2021 in what would be an all-British showdown between the current holders of the heavyweight belts.

Joshua is scheduled to fight Kubrat Pulev on Dec. 12 at the O2 Arena in London. The fight was postponed from June because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Source

Continue Reading

Trending